Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Mast Redux

I was looking at my piles of reference photos and noticed something that I had overlooked. It was a detail that would neither make or break the build but I found it an interesting touch. At the very top of the mast there was a weather vane that had shark tails on it. Luckily I was able to find a closeup of the piece and it looks like the pole was made from an old fishing rod. So, after thinking about it I said why not and pulled out the brass and solder.







As with everything in life one thing leads to another and so I noticed my first pass at the lamp at the top of the mast didn't quite match the original. After studying the reference pic I knew that the shape was familiar. So I scanned the garage and right there in front of me was what I needed - the cap from a testor's bottle of paint.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have the "Spawn" replica & they didn't catch the weather vane - excellent work! I have never attempted the Orca (always wanted to), but I have your same desire for perfection!!!

Frank said...

The weather vane is a great little detail and it added alot to the look.