Saturday, November 22, 2008

Primer/Filler/Sand - Repeat!

I had to go out of town for a week so it's been awhile since my last update. There's been a bit of progress as far as the hull goes. After the planks were all in place and roughly sanded I coated the outside of the hull with "Aero Gloss - Sanding Sealer". The fumes from this stuff can take down an elephant so ALWAYS wear a mask and use good ventilation. I apply it liberaly and then leave it to dry which is only a few minutes. I then go at it with 120grit sandpaper and then another coat of sanding sealer. I wound up with about four coats of sealer on it which really helps strengthen the balsa wood. If you take your time sanding you can make the finish as smooth as glass.

Now it was time for some primer. I like to spray the surface with primer at this point which really brings out all the flaws.



Sometimes you can fix them with a little more sanding but the areas that need more work call for some filler. I like to use Red Auto Body Glazing Putty. You can buy a huge tube of this stuff and it lasts forever.





After you sand down the primer be sure to go over it with a fine wet/dry paper like 400grit and wet sand it. You can get a really nice finish wet sanding the auto body filler.



No comments: