Sunday, November 2, 2008

What in the world is a "Transom"?

...or a "chine" or a "keel"???? I had no idea when I first started this project. And after a long trial and error period I now know what they all mean.

I blame this whole project on a friend of mine that innocently mentioned to me that he'd never seen a model of the Orca. We talked about it for a bit and after ten minutes he said "so you're going to build it aren't you"? He knows me too well, there was no way I was going to walk away from the idea of building the infamous Orca.

Like I mentioned before my knowledge of boat building was next to nothing and having never tried it I was a little hesitant. I made some calculations off of the limited number of pictures, the movie and searching the Internet and drew up some crude plans. I decided to move forward and try forming the hull. I completed a hull which wasn't bad from a construction view, but it wasn't the Orca.

I then happened upon a website that was selling a set of plans that someone created for an R/C version of the boat. The plans are by a guy named, Pat Tritle and he did a decent job of capturing the feel of the Orca. I went ahead and ordered the plans and went back to the beginning. I abandoned the original hull I built which wasn't a waste but a great learning experience. After looking over the plans I decided to start by cutting out the main parts of the hull from poster board and test fit everything together. This may have been overkill since I was working off a set of plans, but not having done this before it helped me see the process clearer.









2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have skipped around just a bit, but were the plans you purchased EXACTLY correct? I figure you would find out before it was over...

Frank said...

The plans were a good starting point but they aren't entirely accurate.