Friday, October 3, 2008

Scratchbuilt Studio Scale Y-Wing

After I finished the X-Wing I was hooked on scratchbuilding and so the search for my next project was on. The whole time I was working on the X-Wing I had the idea of doing the Y-Wing next but the amount of kits to fill it up seemed overwhelming. Eventually I got up the nerve to begin working on a set of plans and so it was back to the bible - "Star Wars Chronicles". As with most of the models there is a great picture of one of the Y's so I started by blowing it up to the SS size. I had a reference photo that showed it was approximately 28" long so I had a good starting point.





Unfortunately, during the build I had a computer crash and I lost alot of my progress pics. I now backup alot more often! So, instead I am going to have to explain how I started this bird. As with the X-Wing I made the initial shapes out of balsa wood. The main body of the ship is a lesson in geometry under all those layers of greeblies. The one tool that became invaluable was my mini tablesaw that is made by Micro Mark.





If you don't have one I suggest you get one. It is well worth the investment and will pay for itself in a short amount of time. If you're not familiar with Micro Mark it's worth checking out. They carry alot of tools and supplies specifically for model makers.

No comments: