Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Greeblies & Silicone

Now it's time for the fun part - kitbashing! The strip behind the R2 unit is filled with "greeblies" from all sorts of models kits - ships, tanks, etc. After I found the kits I needed (mostly off of EBay) I glued all the parts onto a piece of foam core with a 1/2" wall surrounding it. I sealed the seams with hot glue to prevent and of the silicone from leaking out.


With the mold ready to go I mixed up the silicone and poured it in. In order to avoid getting air bubbles from forming I placed the mold on the floor and poured from about 6 feet off the the ground. You have to keep a thin steady stream until the mold is filled so you have to get comfortable before you start pouring.


After the silicone cured up over night I removed it and began filling it with resin. I like using a 2 part resin from Bragdon Industries which is pretty easy to use and very forgiving. When I had the parts I needed I began filling in the "R2 Strip" according to the original model. It may not be 100% accurate but it captures the feel of the original.

No comments: