Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Nose Cones & Styrene

After I was finally happy with the fuselage shape (I took forever!) I covered the whole thing in .020 sheet styrene. I used spray on contact cement and it worked really well. If a corner lifted up I would then go back and secure it with some CA. I then moved on to the nose cone which was carved out of balsa and then covered in styrene like the body.






After everything was covered I sanded it down using progressively finer sand papers. I usually start at 400 grit and go to 12000 grit. There's a great sanding pad kit you can get from Micro Mark with really fine grit. I like to wet sand because it keeps from heating the plastic while you're sanding.




To fill any seams I use Automotive Red Glazing Putty. You get a pretty large tube and it lasts a lifetime.





No comments: